Monday, September 21, 2009

Le Journee Du Patrimonie






Tuesday morning, September 22
1:30 am
(Thanks to my noisy neighbors I am up and trying to make the best of their partying by catching up on my blog)
The weather was beautiful this past weekend and for four days I have drenched myself in Paris, not taking the time to blog, just enjoying. And why not? This is Paris! This is what I came to do: immerse myself fully in its culture, rhythm and life.

Annually, there is a two-day observation of something entitled Le Journee Du Patrimonie. Many government offices and museums throughout France participate by inviting the public to visit - gratis - any of the buildings they want. I had been forwarned of the cues, but off I set, early in the morning, anxious to see some things in Paris actually for free!

First on the list was the Assembly Nationale. Totally unexpected and by far my favorite place, the Assembly Nationale is equivelent to our U.S. Senate and Versailles all rolled into one exquisite compound. It just took my breath away. The people who worked there, all highly intelligent but warm and welcoming disspelled any myth that the French lacked warmth.

And lo and behold! Standing two feet away from me was the President of the Assembly National, Bernard Accoyer. He was mingling amongst the common folk (and that would sure be me. I had to wear sneakers that day and looked awful, I am sorry to say) but there I was. I just stepped forward and introduced myself. He was most gracious to speak a few minutes with me, ask me where I was from and then launched into his version of English telling me about having just been to the U.S. Honestly, I hadn't much of a clue what he was talking about as his English was about as good as my French, but I was thrilled to meet him and get my photo taken with him. Hopefully, I can figure out how to upload the photo to this blog. I still am struggling with uploading photos; I think I have duplcated my photos (all of them) each time I upload. It is a mess.

On I went through two days of freebies: the magnificent stained glass windows of Sainte Chappelle. I have always wanted to see this and it did not disappoint. The hugely tall windows display 1100 biblical scenes from the Creation to Judgement Day. The natural element of lights through which they shine are supposed to reflect the light of God. Because they are so tall it would have been nice to have erected a platform for the tourists so we could more easily view the scenes which were hard to view from so far below. I must look for the concert schedule there as I think the place would be a wonderment with music.

Next door at the Conciergerie I was disappointed that they opened up so little of the infamous jail that housed Marie Antoinette. In and out (and grateful for no cues ) and on I went. Next stop, the always-admired and most beautiful building of the Hotel de Ville. I have also always wanted to go in there and patiently (see, I am becoming a Parisenne) I waited in line for that opportunity. It, too, was lovely. It now functions as the City Hall of Paris, but again, one of these ornate structures with magnificant murals both on the ceiling and walls, elaborate chandeliers, stained glass etc. I really liked it (although it didn't compare with the Assembly Nationale).

Exhausted, I met a lovely, new friend, Flo, 25 years old who wants to practice her English on me with hopes of getting a job in San Francisco and she, in turn will help me with my French. A lovely acquaintance and I am happy to finally meet a woman! Then, after Perrier and conversation, I walked home (several miles) and fell into bed, rested and then got up to go and meet a date. At least that was the plan. The plan collapsed, however, when there was a bomb scare on the metro. Police surrounded the connection stop where I was and I couldn't connect to where I was going. Off I struggled with my infected toe, hobbling along the street to where my meet place was with my date. Of course, by the time I got there he had left, thinking I stood him up. Then, hungry for dinner but too tired to eat, after much ado a cafe waiter finally hailed me a cab to get me home. Taxis were very popular that night and they were hard to find.

What a crazy day!

Sunday I visited the exquisite Petit Palais. I was quite taken with its beauty, and again, those gorgeous ceiling murals and all the art treasures. My spirit lightened; my mood sang. Further, when I left there I walked to one of my all-time favorite museums, Orangerie, which houses nothing but Impressionist Paintings. It is such a little treasure of a building. Musee D'Orsay gets all the press, but this impressive collection just drowns your soul in beauty. I wish I could eat it. This was what I came to Paris for. Problems disappeared; My heart was alive once more.

Off I trotted to have my weekly Chocolat crepe and then came home, quite happy and content with the whole experience only to have an interesting date with a new man. After wine in Trocadero we walked over to the Seine to watch the Eiffel Tower (my favorite place in Paris at night) twinkle for its five minutes on the hour. The weather was perfect, the night filled with people drinking in the last few days of summer. How romantic can one weekend get?

Word for the Day: Joy de Vie (Joy of Life) It is returning!

One last word: I am still adjusting to my new laptop and I haven't a clue where the spell check is so please forgive typos.

3 comments:

  1. I finally got around to checking out your blog. It's great...I enjoy your articles. sounds like Paris is everything you hoped it would be...enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci beaucoup, Susie, for your help with this. I was wondering if it is possible to edit my own comments as I find those typos and that disturbs me.
    Hope you are well and happy and glad to hear you are enjoying the blog. You are a new grandmother, I suspect, by now. A bientot! Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a joy to read your blog and see you are living the trip you had hoped for. Great to see the photos and to re-live the parts of Paris I have experienced and live vicariously through the other places and people you are seeing and meeting. Love you, Meggie

    ReplyDelete