Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Sunny Afternoon in Paris
















Sunday September 6










As dismal as Saturday was Sunday was the opposite.
I surrounded myself in beauty. First, when I got on the metro some young man playing the violin with some romantic theme, which I can't remember now, brought a smile to my face. What a way to travel and I don't hesitate to tip these musicians when they move along. The criteria for a tip is that they have brought a smile to my face. A smile should be worth a half euro, don't you think.

On the first Sundays in Paris many of the most popular museums are open free to the public. I chose my favorite, Musee D'Orsay. While it was predictably crowded, gads, can you imagine room after room filled with masterpieces. Take a long exhale. Interestingly, while they had a security point upon entrance there was very little security in the museum. They also let people bring in cokes, water and cameras. And you were allowed to photo shoot as long as there were no flashes. With these wonderful new digitals I had fun shooting away at my favorite paintings.
After a lunch of baguettes sandwich on the terrace off I trotted to Notre Dame. More queing and in we went. I must admit I absolutely adore these centuries old stainned glass windows. Then I realized I had to get yet into another que to climb the zillion steps up to the towers to have an overview of Paris. After thirty minutes in line I said "forget it". Enough for today of ND.
I couldn't help it. There are these crepe stands everywhere and I indulged in a delicious chocolat crepe, let it drizzle down my chin and was only angry at myself that I would waste even a drizzle of that yummy chocolate.
On I tread to Ile St Louis, one island over from the island Notre Dame is located. There was a little impromptu music and massages and people watching silly shows. Then I showed down the quaint, narrow streets of this tiny island. When I thought I should got on to the concert at The American Church in Paris, I then (again) became disoriented-or so I thought-and asked a lady to show me the way to Notre Dame. She pointed back the way I came so back I went only to later realize she was wrong and I had been correct. Turning around, getting tired by this time since I had been walking seven hours I retreat my way towards the Church.
Along the way I watched a young bride and groom pose for their first photos at the Seine, a young couple snuggling on the sidewalk, book venders along the street, surely one of my more peaceful Sundays.
I arrived thirty minutes late for the concert, exhausted pure and simple. I sat in the back pew and reminded myself of my father who always nodded off in Church (and embarrassed his daughters in so doing). When it was apparent I wasn't going to last the concert, after about a half hour I left and walked on to the Eiffel Tower and then on a restaurant, which I should have skipped, and then mon appartement.
8 l/2 hours of walking. Good Lord, my feet haven't been the same. But at least it was not raining.
Words for the Day: Sunday - Dimanche
Chocolate - Chocolat (pronounced cho Ko la) . A very important word in any language, as far as I am concerned!

No comments:

Post a Comment