Sunday, October 4, 2009

News Flash! Tasha is still alive! Very much alive!






Sunday evening October 4

OK, OK. I know I havenb't been as faithful to my blog as I should. But I am living in Paris, folks! Just a tad busy! :)

A week ago last Saturday I meandered over to the Opera Garnier to try to buy a ticket to, tada!, an opera! But the only tickets they had left were to a 3 l/2 hour opera (Mirelle) and I had to pass because of the length. I went from one long que to another to try to find out the program with a certain amount of French "attitude" that said they were not going to help the likes of me.

So I elected to plunk down my euros and take a self-guided tour of the Opera house. Ohmygosh! I don't know what words I can use to tell you the breath-taking scene that unfolded with each step I took. Opulence, decadence, detailed gold-relief ceilings, murals, flooring, stairwells. I was oohhing and aahing the entire visit. My photos cannot begin to show you how beautiful these rooms were. I have attached a few but, believe me, this all left me determined to get a ticket and experience some program at Opera Garnier. It remined me of the scene from "Phantom of the Opera" where they float down the stairwell in magnificent costumes singing "Masquerade!" Absolutely magnificent!

All this heightened my determination to get a ticket to at least one performance of something before I leave. This was accomplished when my best friend, Julien,finally took me to a ticket master-type place and we purchased a ticket to an upcoming ballet. I can't wait to get dressed up and attend!

Last Sunday, yours truly registered (after much ado) for a 16K race from the Eiffel Tower to Versailles. Me and 20,000 other participants from around the world. Off I hussled, without having trained at all, on my journey to ward off old age and renew my spirit. Since I was fast-walking and the vast majority were runners they humbled me as they charged passed me. It made me feel like I was going very slowly.

And then there were about 5 kilimeters of hills! Gads, up I hurried hearing the sounds from "Rocky" movie: tada dada dada da da, tada dada dada da da....when he was charging up the stairs of the Art Institute in Chicago. What happened was kinda cool. The runners speed kept me going at my maximum walking speed and I almost matched the marathon walking speed from when I trained for Leukemia's Team in Training twelve years ago! As the runners slowed down, I kept my pace up. Therefore, my friends, yours truly did not come in last even though I was one of the only walkers. I came in in about 2 l/2 hours, which I was very happy with. And, I got a medal for finishing! Tre cool! I have been asked why I did it and all I could think of was why not? When we aging baby boomers no longer work we have to look for other avenues of accomplishment. That is what that medal represents to me.

I am bowing now. Applause please!

Lots more to tell. My sister, Mary Kay arrived this week and we are rushing around like the devil is after us. When she leaves on Friday (or possibly before) I will be blogging about our whole week including: biking tours at night, crusing on the Seine, a walking tour with Julien of the Marais, climbing over 700 steps up the Eiffel Tour, church services at Notre Dame, several museums, a concert at Saint Chappelle, a trip to Giverney and a dinner cruise on the Seine! All of that is happening now. So you will excuse me if I collapse for a while and sleep.

Words of the day: Medal medaille
Accomplishment accomplissement a kom plez mon (in any language it is sweet)

No comments:

Post a Comment