Monday, October 26, 2009

Versailles: A WOW Day






Finally, the sun returned! So,having wanted to see Versailles again was now top on my list. I remember visiting it so many years ago, but primarily I visited the chateau. This time I wanted to see the chateau, the musical gardens and Marie Antoinette's home. Was I crazy?

Versailles is only about a fifteen minute train ride from my home so it is very accessible for me to visit. But even at the end of October there were pilgrims from every continent lured to this historic place like bees to honey, and ques as long as a mile. I used my head. Hey, it happens! Where was I: yeah, I used my head, took one look at the major que into the chateau and said: NO! I decided on the spot to just see the gardens and Marie's home. I had visited the chateau years ago. It was a wise choice.

First, of all: I don't remember the gardens being so fantastic. I think I only saw a bit of it way back when... Till the end of October (this was the last weekend) they offer this garden fountain musical complete with dozens of fountains dancing to the heavens accompanied by baroque music. Charming, charming, charming! I walked the entire garden, in itself an accomplishment because they are so extensive and I am on a broken foot. The sun was out. The leaves were falling. There were boats on the "pond" (as big as a lake) and bicycling and "golf carts" all to rent for those who wanted to see it more quickly. I was in the moment. I could almost see the ghost of Pissaro on shore, palette in hand, painting this gorgeous autumn scene.

Then off I walked, err, hobbled on my now painful broken foot to Marie Antoinette's home and estate. Now the home was small, nothing like the mother house in Versailles, a walk away. She had it built for herself so she had a private place to live. And she had some buildings contructed, one a theatre for her interest in the theatre, even a small English village (see photos coming up) (she was a small-town English girl, after all) and several miles of beautiful pathways, fabulous trees and hidden treasures. And, best of all, there were only a few people visiting there! It was a gem of a place in which to take a nature walk. My photos show only a small portion of this perfect,peaceful autumn day but, perhaps, they express the beauty better than I. I will blog in a second set of photos because you can not see the exquisiteness of Versailles properly represented in five photos. Impossible.

This is a day the Lord has made!

If you are visiting Paris don't miss this beautiful estate.

So what did you do with your Sunday?

Word of the day: autumn autome

No comments:

Post a Comment