Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Bad Review in Paris? Oui!.






I finally found something that I did not like in Paris. Anything is possible here! I had heard about it, but never took the time to visit. This is the thanks I get for staying so long!.

The name is the Pompidou Center. I do not agree with the famous travel guru, Rick Steves' who says: "a piano smashed to bits and glued to the wall is refreshing." It is not refreshing! He says it is "an artistic kick in the pants"....hummm, I tend to agree with that, although question the definition of "art". Admittedly, I have never been tuned in or turned on to modern and surrealistic art. It just doesn't do a thing for me. But I keep reaching out to see what is out there. Out there is trash.

Upon first approaching this building you have to stop and just stare at it. Built in 1977, its controversial facade houses controversial "art". All the piping, heating,ducts and escalators show on the outside of the building, which houses several floors of exhibits, student libraries etc inside. It is sort of like a pit bull puppy: so ugly you almost love its' ugliness...almost. I plunked my 12 euro
($19 US)down and reminded myself to be opened. Hummm. Guess I failed at that!

I had allotted myself three hours to get through the many floors. I finished in just over an hour. Of course, there were floors they didn't allow us on (not that they warned us about that prior to pluncking down our euros). My photos show you the best of the best of the Pompidou Center (also called Musee National d'Art Moderne). Let me save you the twelve euros and share my photos, which should save your valuable time at this controversial building. You owe me. The most fun part was finding these two fashionestas who were perfect for the building. They might have been strung up with everything else and given a prize for most original outfits (no it was not Halloween). The photo of the Church is the view from the glass bubble escalator. Back to Musee d'Orsay!

I am following up with photos of my favorite works of "art" in next installment.

Word for the day: yuk (same in every language)

1 comment:

  1. When Herb and I visited many years ago we were shocked at what was considered "art." One was a black, very large, painting. That was it -- black all over a large canvass. I rather liked the unorthodox exterior. Did not like the interior. Well written, Sister. But glad you are seeing everything. Love, Meg

    ReplyDelete