Sunday, November 22, 2009

Opera Bastille/Fashion Show






I had been looking forward to the Opera for over two months. That can set you up for disappointment, can't it? But, fortunately, I was not disappointed. The cast was wonderfully talented and the quality of singing was fantastic. The lead who played Salome was a bit too old and overweight for the roll of seductress. She even took her clothes off (very briefly) at the end of one aria and because I had purchased such great seating I had the surprise and unpleasantness of staring at her rather large, naked bottom! I could have passed on that experience. She clearly was hired for her singing talent.
The theatre, Opera Bastille, as I predicted, could never match the opulence of Opera Garnier. They didn't even try. The outside was an over-sized modern building. But the inside showed no creativity in the "modern" theme. Even Centre Pompidou, while somewhat ugly, had creativity. The inside was painted black. Everything was stark and devoid of design. The three steps down to my seat were so narrow I just put my feet up the three stairs and hoisted myself up rather than loose my balance on those ill-designed steps.
But other than those few criticisms, the evening was delightful. It would have been an overload of sensations had it been staged at Opera Garnier.
OK, now for the fashion part:
In Paris there are always two fashion statements (OK, there are more...). One is women and many men wear scarfs (don't leave home without it) and women always boots. Youthful-thinking women layer their clothes.
My American friend, Wayne and I went to Galleries Lafayette for the show. It was not haute couter but it was fun. Here are the photos. The one with the lady in lipstick was taken from an advertisement. So this is where Paris is leading us to: black lipstick and black finger nails? Gee, can't wait!

Word of the day: fashion = mode

No comments:

Post a Comment