Monday, November 23, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!







What a different frame of mind I have this year compared to this time last year! And how much more to be thankful about than I ever thought possible. While we all may bow our heads - or our hearts - in an meager attempt to thank the Almighty for what we have, we are reminded of the many blessings that have come our way. It is such a powerful occasion, this Thanksgiving day we celebrate each year, isn't it?
So lest I bore you, I have tried very hard to be succinct (even if it doesn't appear so) about my many blessings this year.

I am thankful for:

The flavor of Paris: it is truly an international city brimming with a flow of colorful people, places and things.
Endless avenues (rues) to meander down and window shop.
The abundance of musicians on the metro and above. I found out that the musicians in the metros actually have to audition, be licensed and pay taxes! No wonder the caliber of music has been so high!
The history of the city and buildings. There is something for everyone, be it Gothic or ultra modern; it is all good.
The people I have crossed paths with. French, English, American, Canadian, African, Russian: they are all here and ready to enjoy and share in the joy of the world's best city.
For those who helped me when I was lost (or tried too).
The beautiful children who remind me that motherhood could be so comforting.
The rain which cleans the air and nurtures the endless growth of flowers everywhere.
The wine: one of the few things I can still afford and enjoy!
The breathtaking eglises (churches) and their history and, of course,
Their fabulous stained glass windows!

I am thankful for

My eyesight that still allows me to enjoy my way around.
For my taste buds, without which the chocolate and pastries would be meaningless!
For my hearing so I can enjoy the conversations and music that have met so much.
For my lips, which have now kissed a few more times than they would have at home!
For my legs, which I have sorely tested and they are still my friends, wending my way through the endless streets of Paris.
For my intelligence: so that I could figure out how to accomplish everything I have.
For my spirit, which so cherishes art, music, history and adventures.
For my heart, which is a lot lighter than it was a few months ago.
For the million little joyful, peaceful, and spontaneously hilarious moments that I have experienced. For every single thing: Thank You, Lord!

This Thanksgiving, in difference to the many homeless people here in Paris, I am fasting. I will take a very long walk through the streets and give euro and apples to every single homeless person I come across. Unfortunately, there are many who are still very hungry here as well as in America. I have passed them up too many times because there are just so many of them. Not on Thanksgiving. With each passing, I will say a silent prayer that their future be blessed with improved health, shelter, food, and happiness.

My favorite photos will follow without comment and I will have one more blog to go before I leave. Whether you are eating green cauliflower (photo) and pigs'snoots (photo)with marmalade (yummy)and French pastries or Turkey, yams and pumpkin pie, have a joyful day!

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sister, I am so thankful for what this sojourn has done for your heart and soul. God granted me a fervent prayer that this time in Paris be all you expected and more. It's been a life-long dream. And I am so proud of you for taking on this adventure, living it to the fullest and lifting your heart up to where it floats and thrives. Love you. Meg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well a lovely comment. Merci beaucoup for it and your encouragement along the way. Love you, Tasha

    ReplyDelete