Wednesday, November 18, 2009

There is Light At The End of the Tunnel: Or is it Darkness?






I have less than two weeks here before I return to San Diego. Tell me it ain't so!

Several of the churches and museums offer free concerts and I availed myself of that last Thursday. So off I trotted to the Petit Palais (I have already lauded that beautiful place in previous columns) for a free concert. Opening myself up to new experiences is always a "hoot". There were two Italians who sang and played old-world instruments. Now that sounds promising, doesn't it? At first I thought the unusual voice intonations were Arabic or related in some way to Muslims; the sound was most unusual and, well to be perfectly honest, hard on the ears. It turned out to be olde sounds of Sicily! The instruments were very interesting, however. Two more musicians came to the stage and the Italians exited. I thought "Good Riddance" but then, from off stage, they accompanied the musicians once again. Glad I didn't pay for this one, friends!

My second daughter, Lori, arrived from Florida on Friday, the 13th. Whenever one arrives in Paris the adrenaline is pumping and they want to take off and see the city immediately. So, off we went, first (of course) to the Eiffel Tower and then on to walk the 4th Arrondissment. We also introduced her to her first crepe (poor deprived thing) and walked up the 400 steps to the tower at Notre Dame. That first day we met the Bubble Man, wonderful singer who sounded like Judy Collins and sang for tips on the street, crazy-haired, tattooed, studded youth and found the best darn chocolate in Paris. We both thoroughly enjoyed lunch at a cafe. Lori is a vegan and I have been trying to corrupt her with my bad habits for a long time. But still, she was the one who got sick, not me, so I am sticking to my evil, sugar-loaded habits. On Saturday, we walked the 7th and 6th arrondissments with a stop at the Luxemborg Gardens and St Suplice Church. We had planned to go to a concert that evening but we ran late so hurried off to St Chappelle only to find out their concerts had stopped! So, we went for a glass of wine at a nearby cafe, which was fun, and then walked over to the Latin Quarter and had dinner, which was also fun.

Lori kept getting sicker and sicker but onward we trucked. On Sunday we went to the Louvre and Tulliers before we returned home because she just wasn't feeling very energetic. We did take a night cruise on the Seine to see the Eiffel Tower, though (yep, again) and all the other lit up buildings in the "City of Lights", but even that was exhausting her. I had purchases tickets to a guided tour of the Toulouse-Lautrec exhibit at Les Arts Decortif for both of us on Tuesday, but when she was too sick to attend, I invited another girlfriend. It is so interesting to take these guided tours or docent tours; you learn so much more about the art and artist than you would otherwise and it is money well invested.

Unfortunately, she was up all night coughing and awake because of that (me, too). She was worse in the am and I made an appointment at the Doc's and that was our excursion for the day. Lots of prescriptions later and three days on her back on my horrible couch and we went today to Musee D'Orsay. I am truly glad she was able to see it before her departure tomorrow morning. She still isn't well but on the path, I think.

So what does one do with The Last Week in Paris (sounds like a screen play to me)?

Tomorrow I am having a girlfriend over for lunch. Thursday evening I go, at long last, to the Opera "Salome" at the Opera Bastille. This will be my first inside visit there. I feel sure it won't compete with Opera Garnier. How could it? And at a whooping 184 euros for my seat you can be sure it is a once a year splurge experience.

On Friday I have been invited to a Fashion Show at Galleries Lafayette! That ought to be fun! Friday night I am going to a dance/music club with a friend.

Saturday, I am going to take one of my full day walks around Paris. Every time I do that I find more interesting rues(avenues)than before. It is just one huge, bustling and interesting city. All subsequent days will be devoted to walking. I could never get enough of walking in Paris.

On Tuesday I am attending a free concert at Musee D'Orsay with a friend. And my big (at least big planned) finale is a splurge luncheon at the famous restaurant, Tour d'Argent the following Saturday. All my life I have wanted to eat at that restaurant and I am!

So to answer the headline of this blog: There is Light at the End of the Tunnel, or is there darkness?: as I prepare to leave, I believe the light is here not in Del Mar. I am almost through the tunnel of this fantastic, life-time experience and in so preparing, dread the return. Yes, in my tunnel it is the tunnel that radiates light and I will be leaving it to return "home". I will dive into my last week with full, unabated enthusiasm and gratitude for every moment here. Wait till I tell you about the return trip!

Thought of the Week: No to Vegan diet
Oui to Sugar diet!

No comments:

Post a Comment