Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cluny Museum






OK, so admittedly I put off the Cluny Museum. For eight trips to Paris I ignored it. What was medieval art to me? Well, I have a thing or two to learn. I loved the Cluny! I thought it was so well done. One could get up front and personal with the many displays.
They recovered some of the Kings of Judah heads that were knocked off the statues at Notre Dame during the French Revolution and there they were. Apparently, the revolutionists thought they were the statues of the kings of France. While the statues at Notre Dame were repaired (with new heads) it was until about 1977 that they were unearthed by accident. Voila! There they were inches in front of my face.

The whole museum was done so well, I loved it all. And it was an affordable 8 euros (including audio cassette). You might say it was a user-friendly museum.

My favorite display, however, without a doubt, was the stained glass. (Here we go again). Maybe I was a medieval artisan in another life, but these stained glass displays are phenomenal. They were actually taken from the St Chappelle chapel. If you recall I wrote about how high the glass windows normally are in all these cathedrals and that it was frustrating not to be able to get closer to see them better. Not at the Cluny. They were right there in front of you; you could actually touch them. They are just so beautiful that I had to share some of them with you in photos. And they were done in "the dark ages". I guess they needed something beautiful to look at and meditate in front of and these windows provided that outlet. Here are just a few. Enjoy!

Word of the Day: Stained Glass Verre colore

No comments:

Post a Comment