Friday, July 23, 2010

Brugge: More Than A Side Trip


























Long ago I had my former minister and his wife, Jim and Ginger Hallerberg to my home and he told me of his trip to Brugge, Belgium. "Don't miss it!" he urged. I never forgot those words and finally, years later, I took a 'side trip' to Brugge this past few days. I have actually found several spellings of the word: Brugge, Brugges, Bruge, Bruges! Take your pick!

The entire historic centre is a UNESCO World Heritage site. And I can see why. As I got off the bus that took me to the city's center from the train station I found a big ear-to-ear smile across my face. Brugge dates back to medieval time with streets and alleys and picturesque canals (photos) except Brugge is one of the cleanest small towns I have ever been in. Even with the endless horses that promenade around the town with tourists they manage to keep it in pristine condition. The Square is outlined with historic buildings, fascinating in themselves and then endless cafes where people can sit and enjoy the music and festivals in the centre of the square.


The museums, art galleries, endless shopping and chocolate shops (photos) make this a utopia for any woman. I was in heaven. Their shops abound with hand-made lace, tapestries, chocolatiers, and endless other souvenirs. By the time I was there for the third day I was quite ready to return to Paris sans euros in my pockets.



There is a difference between the people of Belgium (in Brugge, anyway) and of Paris. Except for a couple of surly waiters (who probably were imported from France), the people are easy-going, hospitable, more genteel. Even watching their fresh-faced young people was an interesting comparison: they were cleaner, better attired, and when they kissed each other they were short, sweet, innocent kisses. With all the photos I have taken in Paris of young lovers embracing I never was able to get even one Brugge couple doing the same. There are statues of the Blessed Mother above doors everywhere. Clearly, their history dictates reverence to "Ave Maria".


Both nights I was there the square was filled with people and celebrations with music. Some of the artists I recognized: Tom Jones, Dolly Parton, Elvis, Michael Jackson and some European singers that I didn't recognize. They drank, swayed back and forth and sang their hearts out. I stood in the centre with them and danced and sang and made new acquaintances. It was all very dear.

While the first day and half were very hot, the second night it rained just enough to clear the air and lower the temperature. The second day I rented a bicycle for twelve hours and took off (getting lost, of course) along canals outside of town in the country and getting a good amount of exercise. Felt great! Eight hours of biking and while my legs were tired at the end of the day, the muscles didn't hurt at all. I am creating thighs of steel!

I did take photos from the Belfry (photo, attended a showing of Salvador Dali and visited a church that proudly housed a Michangelo sculpture (photo), one of the few pieces out of Italy. The buildings were most interesting with their Burgundian influence, lovely parks (especially Minnewater) (photo) and a really tranquil sight of the inner courtyard of the Beguinage (rows of white houses where the nuns and residents live) and where sisters still care for the elderly and infirmed (photo). Late one evening I sauntered down an unknown street and stumbled unexpectedly on two fabulous places: one was the Castle renovated into a hotel: Kempinski Hotel Dukes' Palace (photo above in next photo blog) and the other a dear, sweet centuries-old (1507!) restaurant that looked like it came out of a fairy tale book (photo above in next photo blog). It stirred up my adrenaline!

There was a spirit here that transcends the people, the history, the buildings, the centuries. It is more peaceful, more tranquil and if you get out of the commercial areas, more meditative. I felt more spirituality here and stopped in more than one church for a little relaxation and prayer. Look at the above blog of the little Arian princess I found with her father in the square (photo). She is holding my camera case. Every time I tried to get down on her level to take a photo she came running to me like I was her grandmere. It was so sweet. Of course, I picked her up!


I ate enough chocolates to get sick on the way back to Paris. Yeah, I know; you can take a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. But, what do you expect? I am a self-described chocoholic and the whiffs coming from the shops were overpowering. There was one coffee mug filled with chocolates, of course, that I nearly bought. It had a woman and a saying: Lead Us Not Into Temptation; I Do That Very Well Already! Of course, the woman was eating chocolates. But right now, I still don't want to think of chocolate...



I have more than five photos so I will enter this blog with five and then above this blog enter some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment