Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Paris As It Should Be






With little keyholes of semi-decent weather, I leaped into Paris as you would expect me too!

Of course, Paris is known for bureaucracy and disorganization. I say that because some things just don't make sense. One of them is that they have major venues of art, music, concerts and festivals without considering how people are going to get back home when "the show" ends. I attended "Carmen" at a Chateau on the Eastern edge of Paris and had to leave early before the finale (as reported in another blog). I met a friend who was at that same show and didn't leave early and went through a nightmare to get back home as the metros close down so early. Again, of course, this happened last week when I ventured back to Versailles on the western edge of Paris to see a ballet by a Russian Company. The first, modern interpretive number was "different" but I prefer classical ballet any day to some of these "modern" dances. It was outside at the Neptune basin set up for a sell-out crowd. After I had dinner across the street from the Palais I sauntered on over. It really was a gorgeous evening and I had a wonderful seat so I was feeling great.

I met some nice French people who befriended me and treated me at intermission to a Hageen Dazs ice cream bar. Of course, this bonded us to a lifetime friendship, as far as I am concerned.

Then the second number came on, which was wonderful. That, of course, is the one I had to leave early from to make train/metro connections back to Paris. Most frustrating again! But a beautiful evening, nonetheless.

I have had a few dates scattered here and there and that can be fun, too, I was taken to what one gentleman considered the best Chinese restaurant in Paris for a Peking Duck luncheon. Fabulous! We ate on the patio and the restaurant inside was quite elegant. That evening I had a date with another friend for dinner in his arrondissment. Believe me, I wasn't hungry after the duck but somehow in an effort to improve Franco-American relations, managed to gobble down some lobster! (This could bring up some weight issues as I have yet to exercise anywhere near what I should be doing...but let's leave well enough alone.)

I did display my courage one hot summer day by venturing out of the house down to the Orangerie, one of my favorite museums in Paris. Lo and behold! No lines! Air Conditioning! Free (because I am a member of Musee D'Orsay). It was all miraculous. I love the Orangerie and sat in that cool enviornment for three hours just appreciating the talents of these obsessed painters. WOW!

Really, the highlight of the week was my much anticipated ballet at Opera Garnier, my favorite theatre in Paris. The opera was "La Petite Danseuse De Degas". I can't tell you how it fills the senses. To just sit in this opera house makes one feel like royalty. It is just so exquisite. The Chagall ceiling dances his characters above the audiences tempting all to look up instead of at the stage. Each gorgeous seat is individually positioned and cushioned for an elegant guest (the closest I will ever get to sitting in a throne). This Ballet was the best I have seen by far in France either this trip or the last. It was like watching a Degas painting or bronze come alive. I waited in line the day the tickets went up for sale and got myself into the 7th row centre seat. I want to relive that evening over and over again in my memory. It touched me deeply and reminds me prominently that I must get myself to the ballet and opera more often when I return to San Diego! What a privilege! To say it was a WOW night would be underestimating it.

My friend Robbin and I went out last evening to begin celebrating Bastille Day (as everyone was doing) on its eve. First, we went to a Wine bar, which was no where near its normal capacity as many Parisennes take off for the north or south, east or west to etch out a little holiday in their calendar year. But then we went over to her fire station in her neighborhood. On the eve of each Bastille Day, many of the fire stations individually put on a huge event inviting the public to come. We came. It was free, however, they asked for a donation which goes to a widows' fund to help support firemen's families if they die in a fire.

Robbin and I marveled at how good the music was, how filled "the joint" was and how many were lined up outside to get in. This went on to 4 am (how people got home was any one's guess as the metros didn't coordinate once again with the timings of these dances). Needn't worry about my getting home; grandma left long before 4 am! The photo is of me and a few cute firemen. They were all just so "hospitable".

Today we had planned a big picnic at the parc by the Eiffel Tower, but that was cancelled for everyone but the ducks. We skipped the parade and we were happy with that decision also as it ended up raining on and off all day. Right now we are praying to The Big Guy Upstairs to clear up the weather so thousands of us can enjoy the fireworks display later this evening. So far He hasn't responded as we would like Him too.

In the meantime, I cleaned up my apartment, edited my newest photos and wrote my blog. The Sun will come out tomorrow, as the song goes, and I will head back to Versailles to bike and see, finally, Marie Antoinette's estate once again. It was a good week!

2 comments:

  1. Tasha, I posted yesterday (but it was deleted) to say your text and interesting Bastille Eve photos (cute young men at the firehouse)were very entertaining. Hope the fireworks were great. Love the photos from the museum. Hope all is well. Love, Meggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good to hear from one of my "followers". Most of my friends can't figure out how to make a comment! (We are a bright lot of marbles!)
    There are new photos up. The weather has vastly improved and so has my mood. xo td

    ReplyDelete