Friday, July 2, 2010

The Dog Days of Summer






"Summer time and the living is easy." Whoever wrote that apparently did not experience summer in Paris. My activities have come to a screeching halt and the weather is so exhausting it leaves no energy for anything else! I am a weather wuss; I can't manage to do anything when I am really hot. And hell is the metro in the summer. Gads! It is going down to the furnace, squeeze yourself in like a sardine and watch the sweat drip off your nose. Help Me, I'm melting. Heat in Paris, however, means something different (see photo of couple who is well-adjusted to Paris weather.).

While I have curtailed my schedule, I still manage to get out most days. The best thing one can do in Paris is walk (even in the heat). I stumble upon all sorts of fun things when I do that. Last Saturday there was a neighborhood "flea market" and out of nowhere comes this little entertainment group marching along. (photo)

Later that day I was in the first arrondissement and stumbled upon a wedding. The people were dressed to the hilt. With hats like this young woman wore, I thought maybe the Queen was expected. Very uppercrust. (photo)

I also ran into a huge group of people on strike. There were police everywhere. But from what I could see they it was like a big party. The government workers are fighting the age barrier to be raised for retirement. (photo)

I fortify myself on ice cream cones and because there is so much less exercise than I had last fall in Paris, I am putting on weight! Eeegads! If the weather breaks so I can resume my normal exercise routine I will be skinny by the time I get home...if the weather breaks....

I went to a MeetUp dinner last Sunday and it was fun. And a different Meet UP group on Tuesday night was held in an artist's studio.

Last Monday my girlfriend, Robbin, and I went to a hammam in my area. We steamed and sauna-ed, were scrubbed by a brunhilda-type woman who I called Mama (respectfully) and then they poured clay all over us. After this we fell asleep in the "Relaxation Room" and finished off with a short massage. My skin felt great.

On Tuesday I went to Musee D'Orsay to take an English tour. It is such a crowded museum that the challenge of not letting the crowds get you is concrete. But I am a member who plans to get a lot out of her membership so I put up with it. They are renovating the entire upstairs so that really makes it very condensed.

On Wednesday I took off with my hiking group to a town called Saint Germain en laye, a half hour train ride to the west. Our leader took us to another forest and we traipsed around in there, in the shade, thank god, and enjoyed ourselves. Next Wednesday I am the leader in the hiking group. I asked everyone to wear Red, White and Blue and for the Yanks to bring a picnic item to share with the French. It is a wonderful group. (photo)


Last night I listened to a wonderful one-hour concert by the Le Choeur du Monastere, Saint Alexandre Nevsky de Saint Petersbourg, Russie. Got that? Basically, it was a group of nine priests (I think) all young and singing in Russian religious chanting, almost. Hard to describe. It was at Paris' St Geraine de Pres Church. I didn't understand a word they sang but their voices were beautiful and in this venue it all felt very holy, very touching. To think these nine young men have pledged a life to God of poverty, chastity and obedience and then soujourn across the world to spread His Word. It was my version of going to church. Before that I went to Cafe Des Magot for drinks and dinner.

Today, Friday, I inspired my girlfried, Robbin (who never exercises) to go bike-riding with me along the canal. Then we came home and talked about what we want to accomplish - food wise - in the next and final month of my stay in Paris. Two foodies: that we be!

I am off this evening to meet another friend. It just started to rain; perhaps it will break the weather (?) Yeah, perhaps hell will be air conditioned! Probably not.

HAPPY JULY 4 TO ALL OF YOU!

Help Me! I am melting....

No comments:

Post a Comment