Thursday, July 8, 2010

Help Me! I'm Melting!...






You guessed it; the heat wave continues. We did have two whole days of decent weather on the 4th and 5th but are pretty well stuck again in high temperatures. I called my girlfriend, Robbin, today and she had just gotten home and could barely talk. "Take a cold shower and lower your body temperature!" I know she did as even talking about cold feels good. I know I will, again, before I leave for Versailles this evening.

One of the fun things of living in each arrondissement is the little spontaneous "moments" that crop up. I think it was on Tuesday (?) that I was on my way to my metro when I heard music, drummers and lots of people lining the major street by my home: Jean Jaures. (See photos). When I asked what it was, I was told "Carnaval". Don't ask me why they are having carnaval in this hot weather in July but having it they were!

Sunday morning I took off, despite the heat, for another visit to the Rodin museum. What talent! These artists must all be a little bit mad and oppsessed with their work; how else could they produce the enourmous body of work they do?

I had a nice weekend going out mostly in the evening with a nice new friend and having a July 4 picnic for him in my local parc (spelled correctly if you are in France. Then this graceful,African lady sauntered by with her children. I grabbed my camera and snapped away. (photo)

My friend, Robbin and I had a lovely,calm dinner on the Seine on Monday evening. We sat on the embankment facing the back of Notre Dame. It was so peaceful and lovely and the food and wine we each brought delicious I wonder why I wouldn't do that every night if I lived closer to central paris. That has been the key problem (besides weather) for me this trip. I despise getting on those crowded, over heated metros.

Tuesday night I went to a new Bunco group out of this area and had a lot of fun with friendly people. On Wednesday I led the hiking group I belong to. I have spoken of them before; what a great group of people! I themed it America's July 4and they came with picnic fare and American flags etc. We started at the canal near my home three metro stops from me and walked the canal and several parcs in the l9th ending up in a children's playground getting in touch with our inner child. Everyone was most receiptive to the day, applauding their leader when it ended, hours later. (See photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment